Life in Arabia

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Good things

Even though I'm moving back to my home town, I'm still looking for reasons this is a GOOD THING, and not a venture fraught with unknowns.

And so my thoughts turn to the rituals that made growing up a bit more magical. The first thing I'm looking forward to introducing to my son? The Apple Harvest Festival in Pennsylvania was one of those yearly rituals in my family. I'm looking forward to introducing my son to the fun this year. Considering how uncertain the future is right now, both personally and in the world's scheme of things, it's a comfort to have these things to look forward to.

Apple butter. As a kid, it was hard to convince me and my cousins to try it: dark, almost black, and thick but grainy, not smooth and shiny and bright like jams and jellies. But my Grandma made such a big, happy noise about it every time she took a bite, we all had to try it, too. Soon, we were all making big, happy noises every time the old-fashioned Mason jar of ooey gooey goodness came out of the fridge.



I don't think you can buy commercial apple butter, at least, not at your local Safeway supermarket, that's for sure. Perhaps the organic food stores carry it now. We would just stock up on the stuff every time we traveled to Pennsylvania -- family reunion, Hershey's Park, and the Apple Harvest Festival. Stop at some Amish store along the way and buy the hand-canned, home made butter, wrapped carefully for the car trips and nestled gently in some safe nook in my grandparent's not quite an Airstream trailer.

We'll pick up a jar of apple butter this year, along with a bushel of Jonagold apples. I've never tried the apple pizza, as I've always filled up on funnel cake instead. Perhaps this year I'll break out of the traditional pattern. But just a little bit.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 pm, Blogger StealthBadger said…

    You *can* buy apple butter in the grocery stores, but unfortuately it doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. -_-

    One of my grandmothers (who survived the Great Depression with the outlook on and ability to stretch food that is almost lost in this country now) introduced me to canning and preserves when I was young, and I just haven't been able to look at most mass-processed stuff/food as anything other than sugary/salty goo (as you prolly know better than I do).

    Sadly to say, it's far too easy to get by living on junk, and forget what real food tastes like.

    Thank you for pointing me at your blog! ^.^

    *scurries back to work*

     
  • At 6:59 pm, Blogger Tim Noble said…

    I don't know if you can give me some advice at all?

    I'm trying to find someone who can help me set up a business - well an office in Dubai...for a UK business??

    This is my web site to give you an idea...

    www.jamesnobleknives.com

    Any suggestions gratefully received?

    Bit random I know...

    Tim

     
  • At 7:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hola! I've been reading your site for some time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good job!

    Feel free to visit my homepage - toddler hitting

     
  • At 7:42 pm, Blogger sham said…

Post a Comment

<< Home